How to make healthier choices
#1 watch out for unhealthy fats
- Try baking, broiling, or boiling foods instead of frying.
- Use non industrialized cooking oils such as olive or avocado oil. Avoid vegetable oil.
- Skip on the microwave popcorn.
- Reduce your family’s intake of fast food and commercial bakery items.
- Read labels and avoid foods with trans fat.
#2 Swap out sugary foods with naturally sweet foods
- Serve fruit instead of cookies or ice cream for dessert.
- Eat fresh fruit instead of canned.
- Avoid commercial juices.
- Use raw honey or real maple syrup instead of refined sugar.
- Use vanilla, cinnamon, or nutmeg to add flavor when sugar is reduced.
#3 Snack on real food
- Put sliced apples, berries, or bananas on top of low-sugar yogurt.
- Put mashed avocado or hummus on whole-grain toast.
- Make a sandwich with hummus, lettuce, tomato, and cucumber.
- Make power smoothies with real fruit, veggies, yogurt and ice.
- Eat tuna or sardines on whole-grain crackers.
#4 Have a plan when ordering out
- When in a hurry, order from the deli at your local market vs. a fast food chain.
- When on the go, find a deli instead of hitting the drive through.
- Eat at your local juice or salad bar.
- Choose foods that are steamed, broiled, baked, roasted, poached, or lightly sautéed or stir-fried.
- Choose low-sugar salad dressings and ask for the dressing on the side.
- Pass on the sugary drinks and ask for water.