Lesson 2: 7 Ways to Reduce Your Family’s Exposure to Toxins

7 Ways to Reduce Your Family’s Exposure to Toxins

#1 Eat Organic

It is getting harder and harder to find fruits and vegetables that are not contaminated with chemicals and pesticides these days. If you are unable to eat entirely organic, check out the Environmental Working Group's Dirty Dozen and Clean 15 lists.

Changing what your family eats can significantly reduce your exposure to toxins. For example, when you switch to organic produce, meats, and dairy, you will considerably reduce the number of endocrine system disruptors, hormones, and antibiotics your family is exposed to.

#2 Use safe cookware

Feeding your family a nutritious diet is an essential part of a healthful lifestyle. But one piece many parents overlook is the cookware and storage containers used to prepare and store their healthy meals. Most kitchens around the country are stocked with non-stick cookware like Teflon.

Non-stick cookware is made with toxic substances and can release dangerous chemicals into your food. As well, many plastic storage containers contain BPAs and, if heated in microwaves, will contaminate your food.

#3 Filter the Water in your home

Bottled water contains a very toxic endocrine system disruptor known as BPA.  BPA leaches out from plastic water bottles into the water you drink. A great workaround for this problem is to purchase an affordable portable water filter for your home or install a home water filtration system.

#4 Reduce the use of toxic household cleaners and other products

If you use commercial household cleaners or personal care products, at the very least try to reduce the amount you use regularly. These products contain harmful toxins and chemicals. The skin is very absorbent. This rate of absorption reduces as we grow older, which means your children's skin is even more porous.

#5 Purify the air in your home

This may come as a surprise to you, but the indoor air of most homes can be two to five times more polluted than the outdoor air. Since most people spend a lot of time indoors, this means breathing polluted air for hours and hours on end. Luckily, there are several easy ways to detox your indoor air.

  1. 1
    Ban smoking indoors
  2. 2
    Ventilate your house. Keep windows open during the day and diffuse essential oils throughout the house if you can.
  3. 3
    Grow plants in your home. Plants will help you get rid of toxins in the air.

#6 Prevent the growth of mold

Mold can be hazardous to your child's health if it goes undetected. It can grow virtually anywhere; on food, paper, carpets, clothing, and inside walls and ceilings. It is also notorious for producing allergens, irritants, and toxins. Luckily, there are things you can do to take care of this problem. It all boils down to one thing: moisture control. For example, if your basement gets wet when it rains, make sure it is dried within 24 to 36 hours.

Symptoms of Mold Exposure: includes (but are not limited to) headaches, fatigue, brain fog, reduced immunity, gut issues, sneezing, wheezing, rashes, watery or itchy eyes, coughing, runny nose, and red eyes.

Reduce EMFs

Today, exposure to EMFs, or electromagnetic fields, are impossible to avoid. Almost all our appliances emit a steady stream of invisible energy that the WHO's International Agency for Research on Cancer says is "possibly carcinogenic to humans." Luckily, most appliances emit non-ionizing radiation or low-level radiation that decreases as you increase your distance away from them.

A few simple strategies you can employ include turning off all cell phones at night, banning cell phones in bedrooms, and not letting your kids charge their phones overnight on their bedside tables. It would help if you also tried to minimize the number of electronics in sleeping spaces. Finally, turn off Wi-Fi at night, and don't let your kids wear watches or sleep monitors to bed. Speaking of the bedroom, you should also consider using non-toxic sheets, blankets, and pajamas.

Reduce EMFs

Today, exposure to EMFs, or electromagnetic fields, are impossible to avoid. Almost all our appliances emit a steady stream of invisible energy that the WHO's International Agency for Research on Cancer says is "possibly carcinogenic to humans." Luckily, most appliances emit non-ionizing radiation or low-level radiation that decreases as you increase your distance away from them.